Friday, May 2, 2014

Grilled Chicken & Roasted Beet Burger

One of my favorite things about Trader Joe's is the sample station they have in the back because I'm always finding new things to try out there! Seriously, I've learned a ton of new recipes and combinations just from their suggestions. One of my most recent finds are the chicken burgers and Trader Joe's definitely didn't let me down! Actually I don't think they ever have and I doubt they ever will. It's by far my favorite place to shop for groceries and it's surprisingly a lot cheaper than the local store by my house.

Enough about my love for Trader Joe's but what I wanted to share was the delicious dinner we put together last night! At first I was upset because we didn't have any tomatoes to put on the burgers. For me, tomato, lettuce, mustard, and ketchup are all staples for a good burger. I ended up settling for roasted beets since I hoped those would be a good substitute for tomatoes but I was surprised with the results-- I actually liked it better than a tomato! I know beets aren't for everyone but if you love them like I do, try using them on your burger next time. Beet veggie burgers are a recipe that I have tucked away that I eventually want to try making. For now, though, I'll just settle with having them as toppings on my burgers.

The burgers were really simple to make. All we did was defrost them and then grill them on our cast iron skillet til they were cooked through. You can also bake them in the oven or cook them outside on the grill!

So here's what you'll need:
1 Chili Lime Chicken Burger from Trader Joe's
1 whole wheat sandwich thin
3 slices of roasted beet
handful of lettuce
mustard
ketchup


I like using the sandwich thins because it's the perfect ratio of bun to burger. You don't get left with all that extra bread fluff that takes away from the taste of the burger!


If you're a Trader Joe's fan like me, I would also recommend getting their hot 'n sweet mustard. That's the mustard I always use as a topping. It's my favorite and I use it in a number of recipes! It's great for mustard glazes on chicken and salmon, which I'll eventually get around to posting. 


I know this has nothing to do with chicken burgers but it was just too cute not to share! Later after dinner, as I was laying on the couch, Layla found a new spot. The little goon jumped up on the couch with me and passed out on my back. You gotta love that face! 

No comments:

Post a Comment