Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Cauli-oats

 So I've tried out and posted about zoats before but cauli-oats were another thing I was itching to try out. Cauliflower is another veggie that you can add to your oats for added volume, barely any carbs, and the best part is you can't taste it! Now that I've had both of them I think I prefer zoats but don't get me wrong these were good, too. The Trader Joe's by my house FINALLY began stocking the frozen rice cauliflower that I've been dying to get my hands on. It was so much more popular than they thought that there ended up being a waiting list! You'd put your name on it and when it was your turn they could hold a bag for you but honestly that was just too much trouble for me. They caught up though with the demand and now it's pretty easy for me to get a bag #blessed haha! 

Anyway, you could totally rice your own cauliflower but let's be honest I'd rather Trader Joe's do all the work for me. I don't defrost it but just stick it in frozen and it cooks pretty quickly in the oatmeal. A serving size is also huge so I did about 1/3 of it (56g) and it was still a ton of cauliflower! It was volume city in my oats but that was kinda the point. 

So here's what you'll need: 
30g quick oats
50(ish)g riced cauliflower (frozen or thawed)
1/4 cup liquid egg whites
vanilla extract (I just pour in whatever amount looks good, maybe 1/2-1 tsp)
stevia to taste

How to make 'em: 

1. Weigh out your oats and cook them for about 1 minute


(not exactly sure why I took a picture mid-way through weighing but I did in fact use 30g and not 27g)

2. Mix in the egg whites, vanilla extract, and cauliflower. 


3. Cook for another 2-2.5 minutes stirring about every 30-45 seconds. 

4. Prepare your coffee while you're waiting! (optional but is it really?)


5. Then top the oats with whatever you want! I just mixed in honey roasted peanut butter because I didn't have a lot of extra carbs to spare for toppings. But it was still delicious! 


I'd say the main difference between zoats and cauli-oats is that the texture is different. You still can't taste either vegetable in the oats but the cauliflower chunks give the oatmeal a different texture where as the zucchini is smoother. I didn't mind it at all and the cauliflower cooked nicely so they weren't crunchy chunks but it still just gives a different texture than zoats. 

If you try either one out, let me know! I'd love to hear your opinion about them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment