Thursday, January 29, 2015

Ground Turkey Meatsauce over "Pasta"

This is probably one of my favorite things to make, and I forgot just how much I love this recipe! Lately, I've been in a food rut just eating the same things but I'm trying to challenge myself to stop being lazy and to actually branch out with more recipes. So far it's been successful! 

Ideally, the zucchini and squash in this recipe would look more like noodles but I don't have my spiralizer yet since I just ordered it from Amazon. Which, I can't wait for it to get here! So until that happy day, I have to make due with the old stand by where I chop it up and serve the meat sauce over it that way. Just as yummy, though! 

You can always skip the zucchini and squash, and use this as a sauce with actual pasta. I honestly prefer having the veggies! It tastes much lighter and more refreshing to me that way. 

For this recipe you'll need: 
3 small zucchini
3 small yellow squash
2 pounds lean ground turkey
1/2 large onion
 8-10 cups spinach 
1 24-oz jar pasta sauce 
1 tbsp fresh minced garlic
1 tbsp basil
salt and pepper to taste

First, chop up the onion and put that in a pan with the ground turkey. Let those cook together while you start chopping the veggies! 


For the zucchini and squash I kept it short and sweet with the spices. Just a drizzle of sunflower seed oil to help brown them, and then salt and pepper. That's it! The real flavor will be with the sauce :)


Cook the meat until it's no longer brown and the onions are soft and clear. 


Once that's done, then add the pasta sauce! This is where I like to let it bubble and boil for several minutes to get rid of that jar taste. Add in the garlic, basil, and more salt and pepper. Bring the sauce to a boil, and let it bubble and reduce for about 7 minutes or so. 


By now, the zucchini and squash should be nice and browned! 


Once the sauce is where you want it to be flavor-wise (a.k.a. doesn't have the fresh-from-the-jar taste), add in the spinach. This is where you want to keep adding as much spinach as possible. I probably put in the amount pictured about 4 or 5 times. 

That's the crazy thing about spinach! You put in what looks like a ton and then look 5 minutes later the spinach disappears and is like "lolololol let's play hide and seek"

So put in what you think is way more than necessary, and then put even more in! 


See? Where did it all go?!


When the sauce is all ready, scoop yourself out some veggies and top if off with a big serving of sauce and of course some cheese! 

What's one of your favorite recipes?!

No comments:

Post a Comment