Monday, July 28, 2014

At-Home Leg Day Workout

With my work schedule, I can't always get to the gym in the morning or even the evening so at-home workouts are perfect for me. In the past couple months I've been doing more lifting and I love it! At heart I'm still a runner and probably always will be but lifting is quickly becoming a tie for my favorite workout. I've seen such awesome results with the weights that I'm working with that I've decided to start experimenting with developing my own workouts.

This morning I decided to focus on legs and glutes so here's the routine that I did:

3x15 standard squats
3x15 dead lifts
100 walking lunges (40, 30, 30)
4x10 single leg squats (alternate legs between sets, 20 total on each leg)
4x10 bowling lunges (again alternate legs, 20 total on each leg)
3x15 calf raises

I was able to do all of these with the weights I have at home! I have adjustable dumbbells and I'm able to have a range of weights from 8-30 pounds on each dumbbell. Since this was leg day and I could handle much heavier weights I stuck with a range of 40-60lbs total. With the squats, dead lifts, and calf raises I used 60lbs (30 in each hand) but for the lunges I used a total of 40lbs. I know it's not a lot compared to some of the heavy lifting girls do but I'm going to work my way up because I plan on swiping more weight discs from my cousin as he still has a ton!

You can start out with any range of weights that you're comfortable with! If you're just starting out, keep in mind that your lower body is the strongest part of your body as there are the biggest muscle groups there. So you might be pleasantly surprised with how much you can handle! Trust me, my legs and glutes were shaking during this workout even though it was all done at home with dumbbells. It just goes to show that you don't always need the equipment at the gym to get in a good workout with weights! The key is to go slow and steady so that you have little momentum which forces your muscles to do all the work.

This routine probably took me about 50 minutes but I plan on adding more and developing other leg day workouts so keep an eye out for those!

What's your favorite workout to do at home?

No comments:

Post a Comment