Saturday, June 4, 2016

Gluten-Free Birthday Cake Donuts

Happy belated National Donut Day! 

I didn't get a chance to celebrate yesterday so I whipped up some donuts at home for me and Amanda to enjoy. I made sure to make them gluten-free for her but unfortunately lately I've found that I've had to reduce my gluten intake by a lot. Dairy, too, and some other foods as well. I can have gluten every so often but I found out Thursday night the hard way that cantaloupe is no longer my friend haha! I had the worst stomach ache all day Friday from it so I was nawwwt about to chance a run-in with gluten by having a donut, even if that donut was free because of the day. 

Heartbreaking but I like to think these kind of decisions are preparing me for adulthood. 

Anyway, I baked some earlier this afternoon and they turned out delicious! Obviously, nothing like a real donut but they were still tasty. Especially for being gluten-free because me and Amanda have learned that gluten-free baking and recipes can be a very drastic hit or miss. 

I found this recipe from Gluten-Free Palate while over on Pinterest while I was looking for some ideas. I wasn't planning on tweaking any recipes but I couldn't really find many that were macro-friendly. So I used the base from this recipe and swapped in a few things, basically just halving the fat content and some of the carbs. As always I love IIFYM but that doesn't mean my macros are unlimited! 

For the donuts: 
2 cups GF flour 
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
4 packets stevia
2 tsp salt
1/4 cup oil (any light oil, probably not coconut)
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract 
1 tsp butter extract 


For the glaze: 
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
dash of vanilla extract 

This recipe will make 12 donuts so I halved it since I was just making them for myself, my sister, and mom. It was the perfect amount as it let us each have one today and then we have another left over for tomorrow! 

To make the donuts:

1. Preheat the oven to 425

2. Mix all the dry ingredients

3. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients


4. Add the wet to the dry and mix until incorporated

5. Place in a greased donut pan


6. Bake for about 7-9 minutes until the donuts are set and the dough is springy 


Little tip: this is one of my magical ingredients to make any cake batter recipe taste, well, more like cake batter! You don't need much as a little goes a long way. 

7. To make the glaze just whisk the powdered sugar, almond milk, and vanilla together until it's smooth without any lumps. 

8. Once the donuts are done, let them cool on a cooling rack for about 5-10 minutes. 

9. Dip each donut into the glaze once and then do a second round after you've dipped each in once. Then, dip in the sprinkles of your choice! Of course, sprinkles are optional as is the glaze but neither are ever optional in my case haha. 


 And here are the macros for one donut! Enjoy and let me know if you try out the recipe what you think. I always welcome feedback :) 




Now I'm off to get back to studying for the night. My weekends the past several weeks have been extremely low key and boring because I've had tons of studying and work to do! Hopefully I'll have some updates for you guys in the coming week ;) 

P.s. my sheets are in the wash just so you don't think I'm a weirdo that doesn't sleep without sheets on their bed haha! One of the give and takes of sharing your bed with a mini polar bear every night is having to do your sheets every week but hey she's cute. Also, I'm pretty sure that Layla passing out on most of my notes is her new passive aggressive tactic to get me to pay more attention to her (like she doesn't already get enough) and/or get me to take her for a walk. 

Hope you're all having a good weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment