Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Leftover Steak and Roasted Pepper Salad

I'm known in my family for creating random combinations in salads. If I think the ingredients will work together then I'll most likely throw them all in a bowl. I love experimenting with new flavors and it keeps the salads interesting. So many people always complain about salads being boring but they don't have to be! This weekend we had a bunch of leftovers from my mom's birthday dinner so I decided that was a great opportunity to make a salad. We had steak, grilled peppers and mushrooms, and potatoes. Those all work together right? So why not add some lettuce and other veggies?!

That's pretty much the spot that I always work from. I think about what I like and if the ingredients already work together then all you're doing is adding some lettuce and dressing. Call me crazy but I get requests to make salads at family gatherings so I must be doing something right! 

Awhile back I discovered that I like popcorn on top of my salads. I know, you're probably thinking you read that wrong but yes: popcorn! Think about it. We like to have crunchy and salty croutons, right? Well I didn't have any on hand so I figured popcorn would make a good substitute and it does! At least in my opinion. 

For this salad I also added some blueberries and chopped up a dried apricot to add some sweetness to cut the acidity of the balsamic vinaigrette I used as the dressing. 

So the total ingredients for this salad: 
3 oz. steak
1/2 cup grilled peppers and mushrooms
1/4 cup blueberries 
1 dried apricot
3 cups mixed greens
2-3 tbsp Skinny Pop popcorn
2 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette




I'm telling you the popcorn works! My sister and mom may think I'm crazy but it makes for a great faux crouton. Especially because I never keep those in the house! 

No comments:

Post a Comment