Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Pre-Workout Greek Yogurt

My go-to pre-workout fuel is greek yogurt. It's packed with protein and gives me enough energy to get through my run or workout. It all depends on you, though, because I know that pre and post-workout fuel varies from person to person. For example my sister can't handle dairy before working out or she gets stomach cramps. That's just how her body works and everyone is different when it comes to what your body needs. So don't feel by any means that you have to eat the same stuff that I do before working out. If what I do works for you, then great! But don't be surprised or disappointed when it doesn't and you have to experiment on your own. I used to wish that someone would just tell me what I had to eat but I've found that it's better to find out for yourself through trial and error. It's much more of a learning process! Plus you learn more about your body that you can apply to other nutritional areas later on.

Like I was saying, greek yogurt is my personal favorite and I modify it depending on my workout that day. When I was training for my last half-marathon and logging the double digit miles, I had to incorporate more calories to fuel myself. I would pair my yogurt with an apple or another piece of fruit or even whole wheat waffles or toast. Whatever works for you! Just remember that it's important to find a balance between carbs and protein for both your pre and post-workout food. If I'm doing cardio then I find that my body needs a higher ratio of carbs to refuel but if I'm doing heavy weights then I crave more protein. Again, it all depends on you and what your body needs. I feel like a broken record saying this but I'm gonna make sure that I say it again: I'm not a nutritionist or health expert but just someone sharing their personal experience. So moral of the story is that I'm no professional but I'm just telling you what I do. 

Here's an example of what my typical pre-workout yogurt looks like: 


Like I said, I'll usually put in some kind of fruit. We had these cute mini apples that were the perfect amount to add! I also put in a little stevia for some sweetness. 


I also love to add some cereal or granola for crunch. My two favorite cereals from Trader Joe's are the frosted oat flakes and the bran flakes. 


All mixed together!


Here's one where I just had the cereal. I don't always add fruit especially if I'm only going for a regular run or lifting light weights. Like I said, it all depends on your body and your workout!

Some other ideas for you guys to mix in: almond flour, ground flax seed, chia seeds, dried fruit, slivered almonds, granola, nut butters, honey/agave, or whatever else you think could work :)  this could also be a great post-workout snack, too! Or just as a simple breakfast on its own!

No comments:

Post a Comment