Sunday, November 2, 2014

Mustard & Vinegar Broccoli Slaw

The last time I got a bag of broccoli slaw, it got accidentally pushed to the back of the fridge and I forgot about it. I think we've all done that at some point but I always hate wasting perfectly good food. Anyway, I picked up another bag on Friday and I promised myself that it would NOT happen again!

So Saturday for lunch I decided to make my own little broccoli slaw salad type thingy. I don't really know what to call it so call it whatever you like or what makes sense to you.

It's a low calorie and low-carb recipe, and easily fit into my macros for the day!

All you need is: 
1 1/4 cups broccoli slaw (serving size on the package)
1 sweet red pepper 
1 tsp of stone ground mustard (or whichever flavor you like)
                                       rice vinegar 


First, I cooked down the vegetables a bit. Not until they were cooked through but enough just to soften them. Probably for about 3-5 minutes. I seasoned them with salt, pepper, and some roasted garlic. 


Like I said, I didn't full cook them. Just til they were softer and closer to a noodle-like texture.


My favorite thing to put on salads now is a mixture of mustard and rice vinegar. I do this because they are both "macro-free" which is what I call things without any carbs or fats. They give great flavor without any extra macros to track! I use this combination on my salads, wraps, or even my scrambled egg whites on occasion. 


I don't measure it out exactly but it was about a teaspoon of mustard, and a few dashes of the vinegar. You can also use any kind of mustard you like, stone ground just happens to be my favorite! 


I had my broccoli slaw with an egg-white fluff cake and a balance bar!

The total macros for the broccoli slaw were: 
50 calories, 10g carbs, 0g fat, and 3g protein

Hope you're all having a great weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment