Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Vacation Catch-up! Sandbridge Beach 2015

Hello! I'm back from vacation and figured it was about time I posted something. I think it's probably best if I split this up in to two posts or else this is going to go on forever. This is just gonna be a general one of what we were up to, and the second one will be about balancing out food while on vacation. 

Amanda and I met our dad and step-mom part way during the week since we couldn't leave my mom alone for that long. We headed out Wednesday afternoon and left early Sunday morning. We made great time! I think it's because I drove a majority of the way...

We were staying in Sandbridge, which is about half an hour outside the main Virginia Beach. It's much more private, quiet, and less touristy. We did go to the boardwalk one night for like an hour, and that was enough tourist stuff for us haha! It was honestly packed to the brim, and just people everywhere you looked. 

My step-sister and her husband with their two kids, and my step-brother's adopted kids along with my step-mom's mom were also in the house. It was busy, busy, busy especially with a two-year old and an 8-month old but it was a lot of fun. I haven't gotten a lot of time to spend with my step-sisters kids (the 2 and 8-month old) because they live in North Carolina. Amanda joked around that I made a friend because after awhile Andrew (he's 2) was asking for me constantly! It was super cute we were going to bed one night, and he kept saying "I need to say goodnight to Sam" and wouldn't stop until I came to give him goodnight kisses. He also loved helping me crochet and would climb up to sit with me and watch! 

Okay, so back to Wednesday! We left around 1ish and made it in around 9pm. Layla stayed at my aunt's house so we dropped her off and hit the road. She made her displeasure well-known, though, as I was packing...


Her face when we left her there too was almost enough to make me turn right around and cancel the trip haha! Crazy dog lady problems right there. She ended up having a blast, though, as I knew she would. She absolutely adores my 8 year-old twin cousins, and I knew the three of them would have a ball together. 


Virginia is probably my favorite state to drive through because the mountains are so beautiful! I started singing the Sound of Music because #roadtrippin haha! But for reals, Amanda and I were belting it at the top of our lungs in the car because, well, why not??


Every morning without fail, we were both up between 6-6:30 am even with going to bed between 11-12 the night before. It's funny how getting up to see the sun rise on the beach seemed like such a chore when I was younger. It was nice on this vacation because I would either do a devotional, drink my coffee, or chat with my dad since he was the only other person up that early with us. 



And I would get my daily snap chat of Layla! It was pretty ridiculous how much I missed the little goober. She slept in Hannah's bed and needless to say I was super jealous that I was missing out on waking up to her sweet face. 


This was the view from our back deck. We also had a pool which was great. The routine was beach in the morning, dip in the pool, lunch, go back to the beach, then stay in the pool until dinner. Sometimes we'd go for a night swim too. 


We were only about a block from the beach. It's kinda hard to tell from this picture even though I zoomed in, but you can see the start of the beach from the back deck. 


Thursday night we went out to dinner! I got grilled scallops and they were ah-mazing, you can't beat fresh seafood at the beach. 


And we asked for crayons haha! We all pretended like they were for Andrew but every single adult at the table ended up coloring. Of course, I drew a picture of Layla. 


And got more snap chats! I probably got about 20 pictures of her a day from Hannah but I can't say I was complaining about it. 

 Mostly we just hung out and played games as a family. On the beach, I'd help Andrew or Daniil build sandcastles, went for walks with my dad, or played volleyball with Katya. Amanda and I also took a lot of bike rides in the afternoon or did laps in the pool for small workouts. We didn't even turn on the tv once which was great. We are not that type of family to watch tv when we could be doing other things. 


One of the games we played a lot was Jenga! My dad, Amanda, Katya, and I got really in to it because at one point we googled the record for the tallest Jenga tower and apparently it's only 33 stories high! We were able to get 30 and then 32 before they both fell over. 


Evidence that we nearly beat the record! My dad insisted upon trying until we broke the record but sadly we could only do 32 stories! It was still a lot of fun to try. 

Overall, it was great time to spend relaxing since my classes are starting up soon! I'm very excited and nervous at the same time to start grad school, but as the days go by I'm more certain that it's exactly where I'm supposed to be. 

I'll work on getting the other post up soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment