Thursday, December 3, 2015

Healthy Chicken Salad

 I never thought I'd see the day where I liked chicken salad! I'm not a fan of mayo at all but I've been meaning to try out a chicken salad with subbing greek yogurt for the mayo. Well, I finally got around to it! And I loved it. 

My friend told me about her chicken salad that she makes with pistachios and green grapes and it sounded delicious to me so I got my inspiration from her! She uses light mayo instead of greek yogurt but what I like about hers is she uses very, very little so you can hardly tell it's mayo. I still wanted to try it out with greek yogurt, and like it just as much. 

Plus, with all the chicken and greek yogurt it's packed with protein! The pistachios give it a nice crunchy texture and I like the green grapes since it gives it a touch of sweetness but not overly sweet. It might sound like an unusual combination but trust me when I say it works.

Here's what you'll need:
20oz shredded chicken
1/2-2/3 cup plain greek yogurt
1 cup green grapes, diced
1/2 cup pistachios, rough chopped

I did these proportions based off the chicken so if you don't want a huge back of chicken salad you can scale them back to fit what you need!

First, I prepped the chicken with the greek yogurt. Amanda made chili the other night so she kept some of the chicken separate for me. To make it easier to eat, cook it in the crock pot and then you can shred it afterwards.  Just a few hours on high did the trick and then I seasoned it with lots of salt and pepper. 


Once the greek yogurt and chicken is combined, add in the pistachios. I did a rough chop just to break them up a bit but still with large enough chunks for a nice crunch. 


Next dice up the grapes! I love these green grapes that I found at Sam's club. 


Fold in the grapes (be as gentle as you can so you don't crush them) and it's done! I added in a little more salt and pepper at the end just to make sure it was really seasoned well. 

This made a huge batch with two tupperware containers one for me and Amanda each. It was a great meal prep recipe for this week as I've been having it for lunches and snacks all week. 


And of course here are the macros! The serving size is 1/3 cup and I got 15 servings for the whole recipe. 


Enjoy and let me know what you think! 

No comments:

Post a Comment