Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Handling the Holidays

So it's that time of year again. The time where everyone panics because they're afraid all of their hard work is going to get undone in one day. Let me tell you that after enduring four years of holidays where I legit had anxiety attacks thinking about the food, it's totally manageable.

And some of you are probably thinking "well you don't know my situation" or "easy for you to say" because yes I've already put in four years of hard work and someone else might be just at the beginning. None of that matters, though, because we all start somewhere.

The key is to realize two very important things:

1) memories > macros

2) it's a very small time frame compared to the rest of the journey

I'm in this fitness thing for life. No I'm not going to count macros for the rest of my life but counting them has educated me and given me valuable tools for how to keep my life balanced. My point is that abandoning tracking macros for one day tomorrow is not the end of the world. That one day compared to the rest of the other days that I plan to stay on track is practically negligible in the scheme of things.

However, I am not going to use this as an excuse to binge, go overboard, or stuff my face to the point of being sick. I plan on using tomorrow as the perfect opportunity to practice what I preach: balance. This is gonna sound weird but it's just like when I take advantage of training opportunities to train Layla: if I don't take the opportunity then Layla misses the chance to learn something. To me, it's the same thing as helping myself learn to eat balanced without the help of tracking macros. How will I ever learn if I don't take the opportunities to do so?

There are of course some concrete steps that you can take to help yourself be successful. I'm not just gonna blab on about balance without helping you out haha!

1) First and foremost my main tip is DRINK WATER. Keep yourself hydrated and you will be better able to distinguish your body's cues i.e. if you're hungry or just thirsty. I drink about a gallon to a gallon and a half of water each day. So by the time I'm getting around to dinner tomorrow I'll have had plenty of water already.

2) Stick to lower carbs and fats early on in the day. Really try to eat a lot of protein because even though there will be turkey and prime rib (if you're like my family) let's be honest we all pile on wayyy more carbs than we do protein at Thanksgiving! I mean really, though, that's the way it's meant to be haha but just try to get in some good sources of protein at breakfast and lunch.

3) Try to squeeze in a workout (if you can). This can free up some space for extra macros but it's not necessary at all and for most people not very possible with being out of town or cooking like crazy. Also, I don't know if this happens to other people or maybe I'm just a freak of nature but working out actually curbs my appetite. My rest days are brutal for me because I am completely ravenous and it really tests my self-control. It's not the end of the world if you can't get a workout in but I find it helps me to stay on track if I do. I plan on getting in around 8-10 miles tomorrow plus walking Layla so that will free up a lot of carb space for me.

4) Mind over matter. Remind yourself that food is not what holds the power. This is going to sound silly but there have been times where I stand there holding something I'm craving and I start praying and telling myself the food isn't in control. It's all in my head and by acknowledging that, I can reason myself through the situation. If you're afraid of binging tomorrow then try to align your mental grip. For me it's praying and Bible time but do whatever it takes to help you. Meditation, talking with a trusted friend, working out, quiet time, journaling, crafts, etc. Seriously whatever it takes to get you to a better place mentally then try it out!

5) Find an accountability partner. I met a wonderful friend this way through my coach's facebook group and I highly recommend it. It's great to have that bond with someone who knows what you're going through and can give you that kick in the butt when you need it. Grab a friend or family member that wants to stay on track too and help each other out.

6) Focus on your time with family and friends, not food. Yes, easier said than done but just really try to focus on being in the moment with those you love. The more and more I put this in to practice the more I found that food just took a backseat to everything else. Basically the holiday seasons of 2011, 2012, and 2013 I wish I could go back and just shake that girl. I can't so there's no point dwelling on it but it's time I can't get back. Last year in 2014 things were infinitely better but I'm excited about this year because I'm bringing the strongest package mentally of all time in my life.

7) Don't weigh yourself. Just avoid the scale because if you hop on it Friday morning after having a much bigger dinner and dessert than usual chances are all you're going to see is the effects of water weight. It's not worth the extra stress or headache, and I'm just going to wait until early next week to weigh myself for my check-in. I know for sure I cried Thanksgiving and Christmas 2012 when I weighed myself because I made that mistake and thought I had gained pounds overnight. It was really only a couple pounds of water from carbs, which went away after a day or two, but I freaked out anyway and restricted for days afterwards. It's. Not. Worth. It.

8) Get back in the game as soon as you can. I know that not everyone can go back to tracking as usual on Friday like me (I don't have to travel) but I still have family plans both on Friday and Saturday. My plan is just to loosely track at those events but I'm not going to treat myself as much as I will tomorrow. Not in a depriving myself type of way but I do have goals in mind that I want to reach. I'll be back to my usual tracking come Sunday with zero guilt or stress.

Finally, though, just breathe. Thanksgiving is meant to be a time of reflecting on all the things you're thankful for. Instead of stressing about food try giving gratitude for having food when there are others who wonder where their next meal is coming from. If you're stressed about not being able to work out, give thanks that you have your health and are physically able to. These are all things that have helped me overcome my fear and anxiety of the holidays and a big part of it was shifting my perspective. It doesn't happen overnight and it's a process but I have faith that anyone can do it if they put their mind to it!

I hope these tips help, and everyone has a blessed holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment