Monday, March 7, 2016

How to Make a Protein Smoothie Bowl

Happy Monday everyone! Today I wanted to share my recipe for the smoothie bowls I always make because I get a lot of requests for how I make them. I have made so many different flavors, used various protein powders, and always switching up the toppings so one of the best things about this is how versatile it is! Instead of giving you a direct recipe for a certain flavor, I'm just going to show you how I make the base for all of my smoothie bowls. The flavor and toppings are up to you! But of course I have included some of my favorite smoothie bowls for a little inspiration :) 

When choosing your protein powder, I recommend a whey-based powder. Amanda uses a plant-based powder which sort of works but it doesn't make it as smooth and creamy as a whey-based protein powder does. Of course it's not totally necessary to use whey if you prefer plant protein powder but just know that the texture will be affected. Still delicious though! A whey/casein blend produces the best texture but I have found that casein doesn't sit well with me all the time. I have it very sparingly because PEScience is one of my favorite brands of protein powder, and it will give you an amazingly soft and fluffy smoothie bowl. 

My favorite brand to use because it gives almost as good a texture as PEScience but without the casein is Cellucor, and they have a birthday cake flavor so I was sold haha! For vanilla, I've been trying out Pure Protein and I really like it as well. So my top three brands in order are: Cellucor, Pure Protein, and PEScience. 

Okay, once you pick out your protein powder that you like best, the rest is easy! 

Here's what you'll need: 
32-38g of protein powder (depends on the serving size/how much protein you need)
~1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
Few handfuls of ice cubes
1/4-1/2 tsp xanthan gum 

And that's it for the base! Like I said, I switch up the flavor of the protein powder but everything else always stays the same. I don't really measure the ice cubes or xanthan gum but eyeball it and it doesn't affect the recipe at all. Just don't do more than 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum or it'll taste kinda weird (I learned that the hard way). 

To make the smoothie bowl: 

1. Combine the protein powder, 1/2 cup almond milk, ice cubes, and xanthan gum in a blender. 

2. Blend on high until it's smooth and there aren't any chunks of ice. 

3. Add a couple more ice cubes and a dash of almond milk.

4. Blend on high again until the texture is smooth like soft-serve ice cream. 

5. Top with whatever you like and enjoy! 

You definitely don't have to do steps 3 and 4 to add in more ice cubes but I find that it makes it a little thicker and I get more without adding any macros haha! After step 1 if you find it's not blending all that well then just add another dash of almond milk and stir everything around. I find that I have to do that a lot and it's no big deal if it happens. 

So here are some of my top smoothie bowls! 


PEScience snickerdoodle topped with vanilla Arctic Zero, vanilla cupcake Goldfish grahams, Walden Farms caramel sauce, and sprinkles. 

You will find out by these pictures that sprinkles are never optional for me. 


Cellucor birthday cake topped with vanilla cupcake Goldfish grahams, Walden Farms chocolate sauce, and sprinkles. 


Pure Protein vanilla topped with whipped cream, Walden Farms chocolate sauce, and sprinkles (this was obvi a poverty macro day a.k.a. low carb day haha!). 


Cellucor vanilla topped with whipped cream, mini Oreos, Walden Farms chocolate sauce, and sprinkles. 

Just a quick tip that came to mind before I end this post. I use a lot of flavor extracts to amp up flavors, too. For vanilla protein bowls, I obviously use vanilla extract haha but for cake batter if you use butter extract it will really give a cake flavor kick! 

If you guys make any smoothie bowls be sure to tag me on Instagram. I want to see all of your creations! 

No comments:

Post a Comment