Monday, April 4, 2016

Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookie

I finally got around to doing some baking this past weekend! I used to do a lot more experimenting with recipes but honestly life has just gotten pretty busy the past few months plus it's easier to plan macros when you eat all the same foods haha! I got this idea from The Macro Experiment, and decided to make a few tweaks. Side note: she has a TON of great recipes and I definitely recommend checking her out! 

I've been cutting back on whey protein for awhile now because it doesn't seem to agree with my stomach or my skin. I have also been cutting back on gluten for the same reason so I wanted this to be gluten-free and whey-free. It was already gluten-free with the coconut flour so to get rid of the whey protein powder I decided to substitute the applesauce for greek yogurt for a protein boost. I had to up the coconut flour a bit since I made the swap and added in a dash of almond milk. 

So here's what you'll need: 

10g coconut flour
4g unsalted butter, melted
4g brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract 
1/2 tablespoon of almond milk
1 tablespoon liquid egg whites
1 oz plain greek yogurt
1/2 tsp baking powder
14g mini chocolate chips
stevia to taste


To make the cookie here's what you do: 

1. Preheat the oven to 350

2. Melt the butter in the microwave. Add in the vanilla, greek yogurt, and stevia. 

3. Once those are mixed in and the butter is cooler, you can add the egg whites. I generally wait to add eggs to any hot batter as you can easily scramble them so I wanted the yogurt and vanilla to cool down the butter. Mix in the coconut flour, baking powder, and brown sugar, too. 

4. Once that is all combined, add in the almond milk (if you have to). This might be an optional step depending on the thickness of your batter and if everything is incorporating properly. 

5. Mix in half of the mini chocolate chips and then save the rest for putting on the top. That way you get plenty of chocolate in each bite :) 

The ramekins that I had were too small and were deeper than I wanted but I found these cool baking cups at Target! They were the perfect size that I wanted (4 in diameter) and they're like a super reinforced cupcake liner. They worked perfectly and the package has about 30 cups and it was around $3-4 I think. I just set it on a cookie tray and popped it in the oven and it worked great! 


(just ignore my ratchet food scale ha I should probably get a new one soon)

6. Bake for about 10-15 minutes depending on your oven. Mine probably took a little closer to 15 but I would set it for 10 minutes first and then just check it to see if it's done. I just stuck a toothpick in the middle each time until it came out clean. 


Enjoy! 

And here are the macros. If you try it out let me know what you think! 


No comments:

Post a Comment