Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Homemade Trail Mix for the Road!

I'm finally back!

I went away for a long weekend with my dad and sister up to our house in the mountains. It's literally my favorite place on earth as it's so secluded and off the grid. It's wonderful to get away from everything for a few days, and just sit back and relax the slow pace.

We get very poor reception up there so I knew I wouldn't be able to post anything here or on Instagram but I'll try to get everything up soon! I'll have to break it up into separate posts because there's some recipes, hiking pictures, and even a DIY project included!

After my run on Saturday morning, I decided to pack up some healthy goodies before we left for the trip. I knew I was going to take a break from my macros for the weekend for two very important reasons: 1. it was vacation and I was going to enjoy my time and not spend it worrying about food, and 2. we get poor reception so it's not like I'd be able to log into my tracking app anyway!

So I kicked back and relaxed all my rules about food BUT that did not mean it was an excuse to binge or go overboard. Which is why I packed some of my usual foods so that I could still keep it about 80/20. Let's be honest it was more like 65/35 but let's not focus on the numbers ;)

Friday afternoon I picked up some stuff at Trader Joe's to make a homemade trail mix! It's one of my favorite things to make when I know we're going up to the mountains. It's great for the car ride, while out hiking, or just a snack in the afternoon while we're relaxing.

I don't think I've ever made the same recipe twice and I usually don't keep track of the recipes but that was before I had a blog! Now, I try to be more diligent with recipes so that I can share them with you guys :)

Although, I didn't have exact measurements for this one but it's not like it matters that much. It's all about the proportions and what you personally like!

For this trail mix I used:
1 box Vanilla Almond Granola (Trader Joe's brand)
2ish cups of Honey Nut Cheerios
1/2 cup dried cranberries
2/3 container (about 1 1/4 cup) of yogurt-covered raisins
1/2 a bag of honey-roasted peanuts (about 1/2 pound)
1/2 bag of pretzel nuggets (about 2ish cups)
1/2 bag of roasted and unsalted sunflower seeds
Couple handfuls of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, peanut butter chocolate chips, and white chocolate chips

Mix it all together and enjoy! Like I said you don't have to use these exact ingredients or proportions. I just kept adding things until there seemed to be a good ratio of each one.



Sorry that I don't have the macros for this because since I wasn't tracking, I didn't have to calculate them!

No comments:

Post a Comment