Friday, October 17, 2014

Mmmmmmmountain Pies!

This is going to be a little out of order but who cares because this is a 10 minute recipe for pie! I still haven't posted the recipe for the steak and hummus wraps that we had for lunch on Sunday but I'll skip ahead to the mountain pies that we made Sunday night for dessert.

As I said before I took a break from tracking my macros over the weekend because I wanted to just enjoy my time away and not spend it stressing over hitting the proper grams. I still watched what I ate in the sense of making sure I balanced things out but I honestly have no clue exactly how many carbs, protein, or fats I had. I did my best to eat intuitively and things went fine! 

So, I allowed myself dessert each night without a second thought and one night we made the mountain pies! I know that people usually do the savory route but we literally wanted a pie with the crust and all. It was really simple and only took 2 ingredients! Well technically 3 since we did two different flavors but essentially it only takes 2.

This is the perfect dessert for when you're out camping because it doesn't take a whole lot of ingredients, the pies are easy to assemble, and easy to cook! All it takes to cook is the fire and a cast iron square pan.

What you'll need:
1 store-bought 9 inch pie crust (or homemade)
1 can of pie filling, whichever flavor you want!

We decided on cherry and peach as our fillings because cherry is obviously the best flavor of pie and peach runs a close second. You can pick whichever your favorite is, though, it's pretty flexible!







To make the pies, first take out the crust and cut it in half. Amanda got all fancy and cut off the rounded edges to make a perfect square but you don't always have to do that.

We used two pie crusts so we were able to get 4 mountain pies total. One pie crust will give you 2 mountain pies. 







Then, take about a spoonful of your pie filling and place it on one of the squares. You want to make you don't overstuff the pies or else it'll break as it's cooking. 

 

Once you have the filling in place, seal up the pie crust. Just fold it in half and then press the edges together. We used a fork and it looked just like the crinkled edges of a real pie crust! 


Once the fire is ready, place each pie into the cast iron square pan. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the crust is crisp and golden brown. You'll want to rotate the pans every few minutes or so. 

I'm sorry that I don't have a proper picture of them completed but we ate the pies out by the fire and the lighting was awful. Trust me, though, they were delicious! 


And here's my excuse for why it took me so long to get this post up. She was napping on my hand and it was too sweet to wake her up. To say she's spoiled is an understatement...

Happy Friday everyone! Have a good weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment