Tuesday, February 9, 2016

A Letter to My Pre-Fitness Self

Alright, so I have been seeing a lot of these "Letters to My Pre-Fitness Self" lately based off a post from Femme Fitale and I have read a ton of truly heartwarming letters that I was inspired to write my own. I have to warn you now that yes I will ramble in true Sam fashion, but when I think back over the past six years there has been so much that has changed and so many things that I am truly grateful for and I want to try to fit it all in. Welp, here goes nothing.

*****

Hey there, you. Yes it's me Sam, and no this isn't some prank like on the Office where Jim sends Dwight letters from his future self. Although that would be hilarious but I'm here to tell you that in the next six years you likely won't even recognize yourself. 

And I mean that in the best possible way. 

For starters, you'll actually wake up before noon every single day. Don't start crying now because you won't get to read the rest of what I have to say, and I'm not even going to bother telling you the actual hour you'll wake up every day or you might shred this letter right now. 

All jokes aside, you will fall head over heels in love with something you never thought possible-- fitness. You will find your passion, what you were created for, and feel purpose burning through your veins. You'll wake up every morning full of gratitude, surrounded by blessings, and brimming with confidence. 

Now, there will be bumps along the way. Wait, no, that was kind of sugar-coating it. Here, let me put it this way-- there will be extreme turbulence like when you flew through that lightning storm and the plane dropping gave you panic attacks. Yeah, that sounds about right. But you will work your way through that storm. It will bring you to the other side stronger, more determined, and the person you were meant to be.

You will find direction, and a confidence within yourself that you never thought possible. You will learn to listen to your instincts, cut out negativity, and remove toxic people from your life. The opinions of others will no longer rule you, and you will become your own person. Standing on your own two feet, head high, and looking challenges dead in the eye. You will become the person you have always wanted to be. 

Oh and did I mention you find Jesus? I know right now you think you believe in God, but I'm talking about having a relationship that transforms you from the inside out. You give your life up to follow something that will give you peace, strength, and resolution unlike anything you've ever experienced. It's with God's help that you will weather those storms, find the strength to keep going, and the peace and love that you will have within yourself.

I know it all sounds too good to be true because you don't feel confident now. When you look in the mirror you don't like what you see or the person you are. You don't see how you could grow into someone full of purpose, strength, and faith. And weirder still this happens all because of your love for fitness?

But it happens. I promise it does. With each small step, every heart-felt prayer, and every single time that you feel like giving up but you don't.

It happens.

Just hold on sweet girl because you're about to take the plunge into the best thing that you will ever do. Your life will be transformed in so many unimaginable ways, and I am so excited for you. You will learn more about yourself, God, and life than you ever have, and it is an amazing experience.

Six years is a long time, but looking back now I can tell you without a doubt that I wouldn't change a single thing. There will be a time where you feel as though you've hit rock bottom but that will just be the launching point of the best yet to come. That is the place where God will fish you out from the bottom, and when you will learn what you and God are both made of. You will learn that together anything is possible, and that there are things in your life worth fighting for-- health, peace, balance, gratitude and self-love.

Every struggle, every tear, every moment of doubt will be worth it. Those times will challenge you but they will change you, and in the end you will be thankful for it. That I can promise you.

I can't wait for you to get started <3

Love,
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment