Thursday, February 25, 2016

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

I spent the afternoon at my dad's house today baking cookies for a friend's wedding on Saturday. Apparently, cookie tables are a thing at Pittsburgh weddings (don't ask me I've lived right outside Pittsburgh my whole life and didn't know about this ha!) and Amanda put me on cookie duty since I had the day off. My dad has been doing renovations at his house (he's a contractor) so he's been home a lot lately and invited me up. I wasn't about to pass up the chance for two important reasons: a) I love spending time with him and b) two words-- double. ovens.

It was also extremely entertaining because he's never baked a day in his life but was excited to help me and definitely reminded me of when my little cousins want to help with stuff in the kitchen haha! He was amazed at what actually goes into cookies and is semi-convinced that I'm like a pro baker. Lololol chill, Dad, they're just cookies.

It was a simple recipe but the cookies turned out great so I'd thought I'd say! Disclaimer: these are not macro-friendly at all, which is why I didn't eat one, but my dad loved them. He was the official taste tester and couldn't have been more thrilled about it. Second disclaimer, I didn't make this recipe up but just followed it off the back of the oats container I got from Target.

For the cookies (it makes 3 1/2 dozen):

2 sticks of butter
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 cups oats
2 cups raisins
1 1/2 cups flour

Here's how to make 'em:

1. Preheat the oven to 350

2. Cream the butter together with both sugars and the vanilla. Once it's all mixed and fluffy, add the eggs.

3. Then mix in the flour, baking soda, and salt.

4. Fold in the oats and raisins.

5. Bake for about 16-18 minutes until the edges and bottoms are golden brown.

And that's all it takes! 


It was funny because at the end when all the cookies were cooling I think I said something about a stand mixer and how I want one, and my dad goes "oh wait do you mean this thing?" and pulls one out haha! We had been using the electric hand mixer which was totally fine, but it was so typical of my dad to think of something like that until we were done. It's pretty obvious where I get it from....


We also were joking around and sent this picture of him "baking" to my step-mom since she does all the baking. The joke was he actually does know but pretends not to so she'll do all the work. I believe I captioned it "trying to act casual so no one finds out he bakes" haha! And yes I talked him into wearing her apron but I also didn't mention at the time how I'd be sharing it over the internet hehe. 

All in all it was a fun afternoon and great to be able to spend time with my dad. Usually Amanda or my step-mom is there so I can't really remember when only the two of us hung out together. On Sunday we're making dinner (I started him on Pinterest and he's gone recipe crazy haha!) and Layla is invited too so if we come up with any good recipes I'll make sure to share them! 

And if you try out the cookies let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment