Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Reverse Dieting & Mental Games

I wanted to post about this because I notice a lot that reverse dieting gets glorified a lot on social media where people just post all about the highlights of their experience with it. Now, before you start calling me a hypocrite (because you all know I LOVE reverse dieting) let me be very clear: yes, reverse dieting is amazingly beneficial and it's great to be able to eat more food. But, there is also a darker side to reverse dieting and it is full of mental games.


I do not want to come across as a hypocrite by only highlighting the good side of my reverse diet so far which means I'm going to be brutally honest with you all today. I want to talk about some of the negative thoughts but more importantly how to deal with them. That way we can learn and grow because if we don't face those challenges head on, nothing will change. It's about shining a light into the dark places of yourself that you don't necessarily want to face. Think of it this way: if you don't shed some light into that darkness, how will you know what is really there and what needs to change? Stumbling around blind in the darkness will not get you anywhere. Find your light, and use it.

 Hands down, the biggest mental game that always challenges me during a reverse diet is the thought that I have to earn my food. 

It sounds crazy in my head but it sounds even crazier typing it out so that tons of people over the internet will be able to read my crazy thoughts. But it's true and I want to be completely transparent not just now but all the time with my readers. 

Now, let's be very clear again. Yes, I have that thought sometimes but it DOES NOT mean I have an unhealthy relationship with food, my body, or anything else. What does matter is how I react to that thought when it comes into my head. 

My main reaction when it happens is: say what?! And I'm like genuinely surprised at myself because then I'm like "Sam, YOU KNOW BETTER THAN THAT!" 

It usually happens after a workout that maybe wasn't my best or felt off for some reason, and that little voice will say things like "you're not putting the extra carbs to good use. your muscles aren't gonna grow. you don't deserve the increase. or you didn't earn your food today"

And I'll catch myself just having these thoughts, and realize just how crazy they sound! 

The mindset of thinking you have to earn your food is exactly what got me into dangerously unhealthy habits a few years back. That is always the mental game I struggle most with in any situation whether it be reverse dieting, cutting, or maintaining.  If I don't feel like I straight up killed a lift or workout, then my body doesn't need the food. 

Like what the heck?! 

I know it sounds crazy and I know that I know that, which is good. I know that my body does in fact require food (whether or not I worked out), and that this reverse is bringing me out of the deficit I was in from my cut. I know that I need to get back up to maintenance, and I need the fuel to keep my lifts going.

I mean I deadlifted 165-175lbs yesterday so of course my body needs carbs!

Those thoughts only have power if you give it to them so how you deal with the thoughts is what makes all the difference. When I catch those thoughts popping up, I remind myself of all those facts I just listed, and push those thoughts out of my mind. I go home, eat my carbs, drink tons of water, and read some Bible verses and pray. I continue on with my day just like any other day.

I don't let those thoughts get to me, define me, or put lies in my head. I know exactly who I am, what I do, and who I do it for. When those lies are whispered in my ear, I turn my attention to God because His word and truths are what bring me back and re-focus. It's amazing to me to think of the difference now even versus a year ago because those thoughts can no longer shake me like they once did. I built my foundation on God and my identity in Him so those thoughts can't control me like they once did.


It's a wonderful sense of freedom to have a negative thought like "you didn't earn your food today" and then to just push it away with a simple truth. I remind myself that God made me for so much more than a vicious cycle of unhealthy eating habits, and with Him I can do all things. I don't have to worry about those thoughts coming up (even though they still do every so often) because with God's truths and promises as my shield, those words just bounce right off. They don't settle down and set up home in my mind like they once did because I fill myself up on positive and meaningful words. God's word is my light in the darkness, and helps me to work through the mind games.

My all-time favorite Bible verse is Psalm 46:5 and one that I have memorized and call to mind on a daily basis.

"God is within her, she will not fall; 
God will help her at break of day."

It speaks to me in such a way, and never fails to give me fresh heart for whatever I might be going through. If I feel like I'm on shaky ground, in the midst of a storm, or difficult situation I know that I can't fall because God is always there to help me. There are times where I feel so out of my comfort zone that I basically jumped off a cliff, but I know that God doesn't give me anything I can't handle. It might seem like a giant hot mess at the time, but I do my best to give it over to Him, rely on His strength, and simply watch in wonder as He turns it into something wonderful.

I'll talk about this at a later time but I made a commitment to dedicate this reverse to God. Before that sounds too strange let me explain. At the start of it I literally said to God "teach me what needs to be learned", and He has shown me such peace and comfort with my body and food. I wanted to get it right, and I knew I was finally at a place where the mind games couldn't reach me. I have never felt so sure and strong in my faith, and I told Jesus that I was ready to learn because I knew there was something God has been trying to teach me the past several months. The blessings that have accompanied this obedience have been beyond words.


In the end, my advice is to find the light in your life. If it's turning to God then use it. If it's meditation, journaling, poetry, etc. then use it. Whatever you need to help get re-focused and find balance and peace to keep the mind games away. I have a jar of motivational quotes by my bed that I pull one out almost every morning because seeing those words on paper does a lot for my mindset. I keep sticky notes of very convicting or encouraging messages from my two daily devotionals up on the wall by my desk so it's what I read every morning. I have note cards taped all around my room with my favorite Bible verses on them. Starting my day surrounded with positive, strong words sets the stage for the rest of my day. Having those words in mind allow me to take them to heart, and use them. God's word is the best weapon I can use in any battle, and it has saved me time and time again from falling back into old habits.

Above all, just remember-- the negative thoughts can't win the game if you refuse to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment