Thursday, April 3, 2014

Healthy Chicken Enchiladas!

One of my favorite things to do is to find healthy swaps in some of my favorite recipes. Sometimes they work out and other times they don't. But when they do, I get pretty excited! Lately, we've been in a bit of a food rut and not branching out much so I turned to trusty Pinterest for some inspiration. I decided to adapt a chicken enchiladas recipe to make it healthier! This recipe sorta happened by accident because my sister couldn't find enchilada sauce at the grocery store so she picked up some chile verde sauce instead and it worked perfectly. I would recommend using the chile verde sauce but if you want to use your favorite enchilada sauce then that will work great too! So let me tell you how to make this tasty dish...

Healthy Chicken Enchiladas:
**serves 3**

6 whole grain tortillas (I used Tumaro's Low in Carbs Tortilla)

3 medium chicken breasts

1/2 onion

1 green bell pepper, diced

Jar of organic chile verde sauce

4 oz shredded Mexican cheese

Lettuce and tomato for garnish


1. Preheat the oven to 375

2. In a sauce pan, cook the chicken, pepper, and onion over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper.

3. Spray the baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Fill each tortilla with the chicken, pepper, and onion mixture as well as a little bit of cheese. Make sure to save most of the cheese for the topping.

4. Place each tortilla in the dish and pour the jar of chile verde sauce over the enchiladas. You can use as much sauce as you like, we didn't use the whole jar. It depends on your heat preference!

5. Top with the remaining cheese and bake for about 20-25 minutes.

Note: we bumped up the oven temperature because we like the edges of our enchiladas to get crispy! If you want yours to be softer then I would suggest using a lower temperature around 350 and cooking them for a few minutes longer.

Fresh outta the oven


6. Add the lettuce and tomatoes for topping! You can also add whatever else you like (sour cream, extra sauce or cheese, other veggies). I just kept it simple with the veggies to keep the recipe healthier. 


Enjoy! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment