I've said it before but I'm no expert. Everything I post on here is from my own experience so you can take it or leave it. There's no degree or science to back this up but I can tell you that it's helped me and I hope it can help you too!
1. Stop comparing yourself to others. Stop. It. Now. Just because someone else is beautiful doesn't mean you aren't.
2. Look in the mirror and instead of picking out what you may not like about yourself, find things that you do and focus only on those! I guarantee the more you do it, the more things you'll find :)
3. Take a little time each day to do something for yourself. Whether it's a small treat like painting your nails, a relaxing bath, nice long walk, trying out a recipe, or reading a good book. Whatever makes you happy, do it. And do it often.
4. Write a list of your accomplishments, talents, and abilities. Even the little things that may not seem like much but actually add up to something really special, you!
5. Surround yourself with motivational people. This may seem harsh, but if there are toxic or hurtful people in your life you need to stay away from them. They'll only bring you down and hurt you in the end. It's important to have healthy relationships with the people in your life.
6. Do something nice for someone else. I'm not talking about a favor that they'll have to repay but a small simple gesture that can mean a lot. It doesn't have to be someone you know, but even a random act of kindness. I think those are the coolest and sweetest ideas! Get creative and make someone's day!
7. Find something you're passionate about, whatever it might be. Just dive whole-heartedly into it and give it your all.
8. Understand that the images the media bombards us with aren't real. The models in those pictures don't even look like that. The sooner we can accept that, the sooner we can stop striving for impossible "perfection".
9. Tell yourself you're beautiful. And mean it. Stand in front of your reflection, look yourself in the eyes, and say it. Don't look at your face or body or anything else. Say it and mean it. Because you are, you really and truly are beautiful.
10. Live in the moment. This one is tricky because as people we take life for granted on a daily basis. But just sit back and take a break from your whirlwind life and take a minute to appreciate what a gift you truly have. Take in the world around you, the breeze on your face, the sun on your skin, the feel of your heart beating, just let it sink in. Once you can wrap your mind around what a glorious feeling it is to be alive, suddenly whether or not women have thigh gaps seems like the least important matter.
This morning as I was leaving for work the sunrise was so beautiful that I had to stop and take a few moments to appreciate it :)