Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Rice Cake Kick!

I don't know about you guys, but I go in and out of snack phases which could probably be considered mild obsessions. I'll pretty much eat the same snack every day for months and I wish I was exaggerating but I'm not. Recently (as for the past couple months) my favorite snack after dinner is a rice cake topped with a nut butter and some sort of jelly or fruit butter! And sometimes if I'm feeling really fancy, I'll even put homemade granola or crushed cereal on top. I like to live on the edge guys. Before I got into rice cakes, I was all about dipping cauliflower into different flavors of hummus and that lasted for a couple months as well. I can't even remember what I was eating before the cauliflower because that's how long ago it was. I have zero shame though and don't mind if people think it's weird that I go in and out of snack obsessions.

My absolute favorite way to eat my rice cake dessert is with almond butter and fig butter, it's the perfect combination! The fig butter is lower in sugar than most jellies so for me it balances out the almond butter and rice cake perfectly without the sweetness overpowering it all. I'm not always the biggest sweet fan and can easily get my sweet fix from natural sugars in fruits or natural sweeteners. Dark chocolate is my exception though and if I'm craving that then there's nothing that can be done except have a square or two! That's a lie, most likely a few more squares than that..

So, the next time you're looking for a little snack fix before bed, I would highly recommend trying out a rice cake with your favorite toppings! Plain rice cakes can be a little boring so it's a good idea to jazz them up a bit. I've also done honey roasted peanut butter with strawberry jelly and that was a great combination, too! The almond and fig butter still is number one but I'm always open to trying out other options as well. Other toppings that I love besides the granola and cereal are crushed graham crackers, whipped cream, chocolate chips, or you could even go the savory route. I think that hummus and veggies could work as toppings too, I just haven't tried them out yet! Get creative and use whatever toppings you think could be good!

Here are some of my creations:

I can't get enough of the frosted oat flakes from Trader Joe's!



I'm just as happy with a plain one :)

What are some of your favorite snacks?!

No comments:

Post a Comment