Friday, December 12, 2014

Friday Favorites #4

I first have to apologize if this post has a lot of errors or doesn't make sense but I'm pretty much a zombie this morning as I type this. Layla had to go to the emergency vets Wednesday night at 11pm and I didn't get to bed until after 2am and then was up before 7 for work. I was mostly fine yesterday but it's always the worst for me the second day after. So please bear with me! The coffee is still working on it's magic now :)

Also, I first just wanted to put this out there but I think a lot of times people can underestimate just how much a pet becomes a part of the family. You know when someone's dog dies and people might say "well, it's just a dog" but to the person who lost their pet or to others who have a pet, we know that they're so much more than that.

I'm saying this because I witnessed a man lose his dog that night when we were with Layla and it broke my heart. I don't know the circumstances or what happened but all I know is I saw a man sobbing over the loss of his beloved friend. And when Layla was finally okay and came running out to meet me, I was so thankful that she was healthy and safe. I can't even explain the sense of relief that I felt when I was able to hold my sweet baby girl again after not being able to see her when holding her was the only thing I wanted to do. I was even more acutely aware of his pain as he watched my dog run joyously into my arms and envelope me with love. My heart broke for that man because I've been in his shoes before, and it's a very hard place to be.

I don't care if someone ever tells me that I'm being dramatic, that Layla's "just a dog", or that it could've been worse since she's not a real person. I love her all the same and the fact that she's a dog will never diminish her importance in my life. I know this because even though I was up 5 hours past my bedtime and the vet bill was expensive, I would have gladly paid more than triple that if it kept me from the alternative. In fact, I don't even want to imagine that alternative.

With that being said, I just think it's so beautiful the love that grows between a person and their pet. I tell Amanda all the time that since people have trouble loving perfectly and unconditionally, God sent us animals as a reminder of His true unconditional love. It's one of my favorite things about having a pet, and I thought this story was appropriate to include because this is a Friday Favorites post, right?!


If this doesn't say it all, I don't know what will. Our snuggle game is strong :)

Okay, so on to the rest of the post!

1. Lists

Call me a nerd but I really like having lists for two things: 1. I have a terrible memory and need to be constantly reminded of stuff and 2. I love the satisfaction of crossing something off a list. It makes me feel productive, even if it's not that productive of a thing. Don't judge me but often times I put less significant things on my list just so I can have fun checking them off. I'm not going to say how insignificant or you'll probably laugh at me...moving on!


2. John 8:12

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

What an amazing promise! I remember very clearly the first time I read this Bible verse, it was like I was hit over the head. In a good way! Before I was an active believer, I kind of thought about those times as though I was fumbling around in the darkness. I had little guidance, I couldn't see what was in front of me or any of the important stuff around me, I was just sort of there alone in the dark. Once I came to stronger faith, it was like a light bulb came on and suddenly things began to click into place. When I was first seeking a relationship with God, I remember being afraid of going back to those days when I was in the darkness. So as soon as I read that Bible verse, such a sense of peace and comfort washed over me. I never have to go back to those days as long as I have Jesus in my life! This verse still brings such great comfort to me no matter what I'm going through!


3. S'mores Quest Bars

I think all you need to know about these is that they're just simply the best flavor ever! My top three are the S'mores, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, and Cookies n' Cream (in that order!). I was able to get a box of all three from Quest's Cyber Monday sale and I am one happy customer!


The chunks, though, LOOK AT THOSE CHUNKS! 


4. Dead lifts 

Leg day is the best and even though I love all the exercises for legs, I would have to go with dead lifts. One of my goals for 2015 is to really step up my game and work on adding more weight to my dead lifts. I would be absolutely thrilled to hit the 200 club by the end of next year but we'll have to see how marathon training goes until May. There's a good chance that I'll have to cut out a lot or all leg days which would lose me valuable training time towards my goal. However, no excuses! I'm still going to try my best! In the end it doesn't really matter to me what I'm able to lift, just that I'm passionate about it and that I enjoy doing it.


5. Cherry pie

If I could only pick a dessert for the rest of my life, it would be cherry pie. Pie is my favorite dessert and cherry pie is my favorite pie hence cherry pie is my all-time favorite! On Pinterest, I've seen picture of instead of wedding cakes, there's wedding pies. Talk about genius! It's a tower of pies and I don't think I've ever seen anything so beautiful. If I ever get married, you bet your boots there will be a tower of cherry pies for the cake! No negotiations.

Happy Friday everyone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment