Monday, December 1, 2014

Thanksgiving Recap

Okay first of all, can we talk about how it's December already?! I mean really, time is flying! I can't believe there's only three more weeks of work until my Christmas break. No complaints there, though, because I can't wait! 

Anyway, I wanted to give an update about the past four days since there was a lot going on with Thanksgiving, and I have a recipe to share! It's not mine but it's now become a bit of a tradition in my family and I know you guys will love it, too! 

So for starters, it was Thanksgiving last week which meant we all probably ate more than usual for us. Second important thing, let's move past it. I know, easier said than done but seriously it's important to try.

I'll admit, I did not track one SINGLE thing on Thanksgiving. 

"But, don't you track macros???"

Yes, yes I do. But let's not forget macros > memories. Every single time! 

You want to know the miraculous thing this year? I didn't feel guilty!!! I just let it all go (mentally) and challenged myself to focus on enjoying my time with family and friends, and to listen to my body. Like I told Amanda, I wanted to "eat normally" as I was able to before I developed my issues with food. Meaning eating when I was hungry and stopping when I was full. Again, easier said than done but it is possible! 

I didn't want to just go crazy and eat so much that it hurt, I didn't want to have those feelings of shame and guilt that I was eating "bad" foods, but most importantly I didn't want all those negative thoughts to completely consume me to the point where I wasn't able to enjoy myself. 

The last anxiety-free holiday that I had was probably Christmas 2011. Which means for the last 3 years, I have not properly enjoyed myself at family get-togethers whether it be for holidays, birthdays, or just simple family dinners for no special occasion. I'm not being dramatic at all but I honestly dreaded them because I wouldn't be able to track exactly what was in my food. 

Sounds crazy, right? But it happens much more often than we would like to think.  

With that being said, if you fell off the wagon and ate more than you planned or wanted, please try to move past it. It's so important for you to do this because the more you dwell on it, the worse it will be. Trust me on this one, please. 

If you track macros, get right back on that horse and into the game. If you don't track macros or calories but rather try to be health-conscious of what you eat, again just get right back to it! 

It doesn't matter if you track or not but just go back to your regular eating and exercise habits. This is the best thing for your body rather than trying to "make up" for all that food you ate on Thanksgiving. Don't try to over-exercise or deprive yourself or both just to try to undo any damage that you think you might've done on that one day. 

Because that's the other thing: it's only one day. Chances are, it's just one meal (if you're like my family, we only do a dinner) which means it really isn't a huge deal. I know it may seem like one, especially with all the anxiety that can be built up over one day but try to look at it in the big picture.

It's one day which is nearly negligible in terms of eating while looking at your whole life.

Again, I know this is easier said than done but really and truly try to move past it. Amanda and I were talking about this on our run Thanksgiving morning because I was amazed by my lack of anxiety over the upcoming meal that night. It's something I have been striving for for so many months and years now. It starts with baby steps but when you put the hard work in, it will come!

I can't even begin to explain that feeling of freedom. I didn't track at all Thursday morning or afternoon but fueled up for my long run as usual, ate my post-workout, and then a light snack in the afternoon. Then, I went to dinner and enjoyed myself! Yeah I probably went over in carbs and fats but the important thing is that I didn't dwell on it.

I even had started eating this pie I had never tried-- it was peanut butter cup pumpkin or something-- but then I didn't like it so I stopped and gave my leftovers to my uncle. This may not sound like a big deal but before I would've kept eating it because it was a "treat" or just something that I usually wouldn't allow myself to eat. Which means I'd to live it up because come tomorrow, those foods wouldn't be allowed again!

But a couple bites in with this pie I thought to myself "nah, I'm not liking this. It's too rich and sweet." So I just had a small slice of Skillet Almond Shortbread that my cousin makes every year, it's bomb by the way! We saw it on Food Network a few years back and knew we had to make it! Anyway, I didn't feel the need to have multiple desserts because I had fro yo Wednesday night that fit my macros and I knew I could have some more the next day!

My point is, I didn't feel the need to go crazy and eat so many foods because I already fit more fun foods in my macros for Friday as well as some of the leftovers from Thanksgiving. Then it's kinda like "well, why do I have to eat it all now when I can have some tomorrow, too?".

I had mental freedom and the peace of mind that even though my macros wouldn't be spot on that day on Thursday, it was fine because I've been repairing my metabolism and knew my body could handle it. I know that everyone is in a different place both mentally and physically, but like I said let's just try to move past it, okay? There are more important things in life!


For example, having my loved ones surrounding me and it was much more important to focus on spending time with them rather than worrying about my macros! 

Like I said, I don't want to look back on my life and realize that my fear of food and anxiety over it all stopped me from living my life. I'm done with it having that hold over me, and want to live my life the way God intended! 

So, don't beat yourself up about it but keep moving forward and working towards your goals! I have complete faith in you :) 


Friday morning, I woke up early to get my back day workout in, and then headed over to the Panera by my house to work on some grad school applications. Oh, with Christmas music starting of course! It's pretty much a mix of For King & Country (Baby Boy and Little Drummer Boy are my favorites!) and anything Pentatonix!  

It ended up being a very productive morning and I saw one of my friends from high school there so it was great to catch up with her while she was home for the break! 

Anddd if you didn't see on Instagram, we got the Christmas decorations up already! 


It's tradition to watch Elf every year on Black Friday (there ain't no way I'm going shopping in that chaos haha) while we put up the Christmas tree! 

"So, good news, I saw a dog today." 

"Buddy the Elf, what's your favorite color?"

"I'm sorry I ruined your lives...and crammed 11 cookies in the VCR." 

"I'll call you in five minutes." (My cousins and I still say that one all the time to each other before hanging up!)

Clearly, I've seen this movie one too many times but it still cracks me up! I'm not always the biggest fan of Will Ferrell movies but Elf is hilarious. 


This little nugget was veryyyy excited to take part in the tradition this year! 

Sorry I'm not sorry but she's just too stinkin' cute not to share :)

Per usual, she handled the inspections. I actually wanted her to do this because this way it gets her curiosity out of the way. Once she saw the ornaments were nothing special, she got less excited and I knew she'd be less likely to bother them once I put them on the tree. Since we have the cats, there are a certain number of "filler ornaments" that we put on the bottom part of the tree so if someone (Cosmo) knocks them off, they won't break. 

I didn't know how Layla would react to the ornaments but she didn't seem as interested in them once I showed them to her. Although, I did put the more feathery or textured ones up higher out of her reach because I know my pup alllll too well! 


The finished product!

How was your Thanksgiving?! Any fun traditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment