Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Typical Dinner Post: Grilled Veggies & Steak!

So I've gotten questions before about what I usually eat on a regular basis for dinner. Besides protein pancakes for dinner (hehehe), my favorite is something that is very simple: lean protein and veggies. For me, I do not like a heavy dinner at all. In fact I feel like I'm the opposite of the normal American idea. As the day goes on, my meals get smaller not larger. 

Breakfast is definitely my favorite meal and the funny thing is I HATED it when I was younger. I legitimately could not stomach food right after waking up, and now one of my first thoughts when waking up is "yay I get to eat soon!!"

My point is that my typical dinners might sound horribly boring to some people but I don't think so! Like I said, I usually crave something light and fresh. My idea of a heavy dinner is having a side of mashed sweet potatoes in addition to chicken and vegetables. I couldn't tell you the last time I had something like pasta or even rice for dinner.

We recently got a grill, and let me tell you it's been a wonderful investment! This past weekend, Amanda and I decided to treat our mom for her birthday to something special-- steak! Now, I'm not a vegetarian or anything but usually I don't eat that much red meat. Chicken, fish, and turkey are my usual go-tos for protein because you get higher protein, and plus the prices are better. I picked out sirloin steak at Sam's Club this past weekend, and it was really good!


So on Saturday for dinner, we grilled the steak along with mushrooms & peppers, and zucchini and yellow squash. For the vegetables all I did was season them with some olive oil, salt, and pepper! I don't like my vegetables to be that heavily seasoned or all fancily disguised to not taste like vegetables, I actually like the taste of vegetables haha! So, I do some basic seasoning so as to not overpower the real taste. The mushrooms and peppers went in one little foil boat, and the zucchini and squash in another. Make sure to seal it all up tight so that none of the vegetables or steam leaks out. Then, we threw them on the grill, and that was it! 

We found out that grilling may not exactly be Amanda's forte. She went to check on the steaks, and I hear from the kitchen "Oh wow, my steaks are literally on fire!" hahaha whoops! A couple of the steaks were a little uhhh charcoal by the end? Luckily, there was one that was nice and medium-rare for me! I might sound like a snob but I hate eating steak cooked more than medium-rare. If it's not pink or red in the middle I have no interest because otherwise it tastes like cardboard to me. People legit have jokingly asked me before if my steak is still mooing because I'll eat it even if it's that red in the middle! In my opinion, the rarer the better. 


Then on Sunday, we had the leftover steak along with the mashed cauliflower I made, and some roasted asparagus! The asparagus was super easy. All I did was again season it with lots of salt, pepper, and oil then threw it in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10-12 minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment