Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Getting Over Gym-timidation

Sometimes I think I'm much funnier than I probably am ha! Like for example I really enjoyed my mash-up pun in the title but everyone is most likely rolling their eyes. 

Ignoring my attempts to be punny, this is actually something that has come up with every single woman that I know when she first started lifting-- crossing over in to "bro territory", the "brozone", whatever you want to call it the point is it can be intimidating. I will hands down tell you that at any given time, I am the only girl lifting at my gym. Occasionally there are nice older ladies who use some of the machines but none of the free weights. I'm not saying that no other girls lift at my gym but obviously we are on different schedules haha! Not until the other day was there a girl joining me on that side and I got so excited and wanted to become instant BFFs with her. But I decided that would probably creep her out and scare her away. 

In general, I think I've lucked out with my gym. It's smaller and never really super crowded which is nice especially for supersets or not having to wait for machines. It's also nice because there usually aren't a ton of people around that I would get intimidated. 

When I first started lifting last year, though, I was very self-conscious and was constantly feeling like everyone was watching and judging me.

So here are some tips that I think can be useful when dealing with gym-timidation:

1. Do your research

When I first started lifting, I was looking up all kinds of exercises, tips on form, and watching a lot of videos. Bodybuilding.com has a fantastic database and it's convenient because you can zero down your search to what muscle group you want to target plus what equipment you have access to and voila! All kinds of exercise at your fingertips. This helped me immensely with not only proper form but increasing my confidence in what I was doing. Even now, I like to refresh myself and make sure I'm always using proper form. That's why your gym has mirrors so use them! They're not just for selfies people ;)

2. Schedule a personal training session

If you really want a hands-on experience then I'd recommend investing in a personal training session. I see them happening all the time where the trainers walk around with someone and give them a general explanation of what to do, and an overall introduction or orientation to weight lifting. I've also seen actual sessions going on where the trainers spot them or correct their form. Again, more knowledge means more confidence. 

3. Take advantage of gym classes 

I personally think this can just broaden your horizons. For example, I wouldn't have found out that I love spinning if I didn't go to a class! I only do the free classes available to members but I've seen advertisements for other classes where you pay. Some of those include: weight-lifting courses, kettle bells, or body pump. All are great options and if I wasn't trying to save up every penny for grad school, I'd probably invest more money in taking classes like those too!

4. Bring a friend!

I have been trying to get lots of people to come to the gym with me but it never happens. My friend at work sadly goes to a different gym that's farther from my house and more expensive but we talk all the time about how we wish we went to the same gym to workout together. I would love to have a gym buddy so I'll be accepting applications, ha! Just kidding. But no really if you wanna be gym buddies that'd be totally cool. Anyway, if you can get a workout partner that can always help to have someone else around that you're comfortable with. Plus, they can be an accountability partner and you can help motivate one another. Everybody wins! 

5. Keep your goals in mind

This was probably the number one thing when I first started lifting that helped me really get over that gym-timidation. One of the first times I was lifting I got super self-conscious since there was a whole group of bro-guys over in the weights taking up almost everything. I debated on what to do because I knew I was supposed to do back but was too nervous to go over there where all of them were. I eventually just panicked and did cardio and then kicked myself the whole time driving home. I was so upset with myself, and couldn't figure out why I was so afraid to go over there.

Then, I gave myself some tough love. I said "Sam, what the heck! Are you gonna let what those guys think of you get in the way of your goals? Who cares what they think! Do you really want to look back in a year and not see the progress you want just because you let something that silly get in your way?! You have goals dang it so go out and chase them!"

That lit a fire under my butt. I knew what I wanted, I knew how to get what I wanted, and I had all the tools I needed to get it. So what was holding me back? Myself. That's when it hit me, and that's when it changed. I basically said screw everyone else, I'm doing this for me. 

6. Have faith in yourself

This is something that you have to find within yourself. You have to know what you want and keep your goals in mind, but you have to tell yourself that you can do it. And not just with empty words but actually have faith that you can do it. Not to get cheesy or emotional but when I think back to last year and the person who I was then, I'm not the same. It hasn't just been a physical change but a mental change. When I'm lifting, I feel empowered. I don't care that I'm the only girl lifting because to be honest when I'm in that zone I feel like a bada** (sorry guys but I just can't swear ha). I love walking in to the gym and knowing that I'm about to take another step closer to my goals. When I look back on progress pictures, I get so proud of what I've accomplished. It feeds my passion, makes me feel alive, and I love it. I know what I can do and sometimes my bigger dreams can scare me but that only makes me want it more. Keep the faith and you can move mountains.

Proverbs 46:5 "God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day" 

Last but not least here's another thing I've learned this past year: 

No one really cares that much what you're doing. 

Most of the time people are so focused on their own workout that they're not really paying attention to everyone else. I'm in the same boat as them. When I'm lifting, I'm lifting. I'm not looking around at everybody else. I will admit that when one of the trainers is on the floor either with a client or doing their own workout, I do creep a bit. But that's legitimately only for gaining knowledge or learning more about form, etc. I find it really interesting to watch them because I pick up stuff that way. 

I think a lot of women are intimidated by the guys because they think they're either gonna get made fun of or hit on. Over the past year I've gotten over both of those worries because all of the guys at my gym are really nice and I've never felt intimidated by them. I've had nothing but positive experiences at my gym, and feel totally comfortable. It's always nice when you begin to recognize the regulars and they know you so you kind of just go about your own business. 

My favorite story is one time I was doing box jumps and this sweet little old guy comes up to me and asks me what my event is. I don't understand what he means but then he goes "well, no one does those just for fun! Do you high jump, track, professional football player?!". I couldn't help it but I laughed out loud when he said he thought I might have been a professional football player! But he was being very honest and sincere. He was so impressed and was nice enough to come over and let me know. I told him I was simply training quads, and he was amazed that was my only reason haha! 

Overall, it's something that takes time to get over but if you truly want to reach your goals it's something you have to overcome. It was a big step for me outside my comfort zone because I didn't know much about lifting but looking back I have no regrets. If anything my main regret would have been not doing it. I have fallen head over heels in love with lifting, and wouldn't change a thing! I honestly didn't think I could ever find something to rival my passion for running, and that's why I think it's so important to explore outside your comfort zone. Who knows what you might find! 

No comments:

Post a Comment