Monday, July 6, 2015

Fourth of July Weekend Recap

Happy Monday everyone! It's an especially happy one for me since I'm home for a staycation! I had Friday off work for the holiday but then I took today through Wednesday off just for a little vacation. Things have been crazy at work with transitioning in a new coworker plus training her so the timing worked out perfectly. 

Alsoooo, Lola is visiting for the week! Needless to say the whole family is thrilled, especially Layla since she loves her big sister. 


My aunt, uncle, and cousins are all away at the beach, and of course they're right where all those shark attacks have been happening along the Carolina coast! So prayers please that they all stay safe because Hannah told me they're still swimming and going in the water. I told them that's probably not the best idea unless they want to see Shark Week live in action. 

Saturday morning both the pups were feeling extra lazy! My aunt was joking around and told me to make sure Lola actually got rest and relaxation since she knew Layla would be all over her. So, I sent her this picture to reassure her that Lola was getting plenty! 

Lola especially loves coming to our house since she's allowed on the furniture to snuggle :) in fact she's curled up with my mom right now! 


So for dinner that night, I made a little cauliflower stir fry that was really good! I've seen all kinds of recipes for cauliflower rice but I wanted bigger chunks. So that's what I did! I used the bigger chunks of cauliflower as the main base of the stir fry then added in some chicken, broccoli, frozen peas, and frozen corn. I tossed it all together in the pan with some soy sauce, garlic, salt, pepper, and let it cook! It was low-carb and macro-friendly. 


For the Fourth of July, we didn't do anything fancy. My friend Megan was in town for the weekend so we got together for lunch. It was great since she was able to catch up with my mom and Amanda too because she hasn't seen them since she left for Connecticut in January. We went to Burgatory and I got the elk burger again! I don't think I can ever get anything different than that when I go. It hit the spot! Burgatory also has gluten-free options so Amanda was able to enjoy her usual bison burger with a gluten-free bun, and a gluten-free milkshake. 


Sunday morning I had overnight oats before heading off to church. The salty caramel Jif whips is quickly becoming one of my favorites for making overnight oats. It's always bittersweet because I don't want the peanut butter to be gone but at the same time I know that I'll be getting overnight oats haha! 


For dinner, we grilled some salmon and I sauteed up one of the zucchinis from my aunt's garden. It was HUGE, and easily fed the three of us and then some. I have no idea how all the vegetables grow to the size that they do in her garden, and trust me Amanda is desperate to figure out her secret! 

As a sauce on the salmon I mixed together some sweet and hot mustard, some honey mustard, and whole grain mustard. I just eyeballed amounts and tasted it until I got the flavor I wanted. The whole dinner took less than 30 minutes and was healthy and delicious! 

Hope you all had a great holiday weekend, and a good start to the week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment