Thursday, January 14, 2016

Gluten-Free Banana Bread Bites

I had no intentions of making banana bread any time soon but my original plan was foiled so I had no choice! I brought home pineapple from Sam's club last week and my plan was to distract Amanda from it with bananas. But it didn't work. So then we were stuck with lots of suddenly very ripe bananas haha!

I didn't want the bananas to go to waste so I decided to get back to baking this afternoon and actually come up with a recipe myself. I wanted to make it gluten-free because Amanda can't have gluten but we've tried out some other recipes we've found on Pinterest and they didn't quite deliver.

So I threw caution to the winds and came up with my own version! I was really pleased with how it turned out and the macros weren't bad either. I wanted to use as much macro-friendly ingredients that I could so I guess you could term this banana bread as "healthy" but you all know I've stopped giving foods labels a long time ago ;)

Here's what you'll need:

2 cups gluten-free flour
4 bananas (the riper the better)
2 eggs
1/3 cup baking stevia
2 tbsp sunflower seed oil (or any oil you have)
1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
1 tbsp agave (or honey)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla 
1/4 tsp salt


1. Preheat the oven to 350 

2. In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and stevia. 


3. In a separate bowl mash up the bananas until the mixture is fairly smooth but there are still some chunks (I personally like to have some bigger chunks throughout the bread). 


4. Add the eggs, vanilla, almond milk, sunflower seed oil, agave or honey, and greek yogurt to the bananas. I don't like a lot of sweetness, which is why I cut out white or brown sugar to replace it with stevia and agave. I waited until the end to add in the agave because I might not have needed it but I decided to add it anyway. I probably would have been just as happy without it but if you have a sweet tooth you might want to add in 1-2 tablespoons more. Just keep in mind that will change the carbs on the macros. 


5. Add in half the flour mixture to the banana mixture, stir until it's incorporated, and then add in the remaining half of the flour mixture. 


6. Grease the bread pan. We have this nifty one that allows you to do four smaller loaves for different flavors. It comes in handy and I like using it also because it gives you better macro proportions. All four put together probably equals about the standard size for a loaf of banana bread. 


7. Bake for about 45-55 minutes at 350 until the outside is golden brown and the inside is fully cooked. Mine was done at around 48 minutes but it just depends on your oven's cooking time. I just used a toothpick to check if the middle was done. 


The finished product! I was really happy with how moist the bread stayed because a common problem Amanda and I have noticed with gluten-free baking is the texture and drying out. Next time I'll add in more things like chocolate chips or walnuts, but usually I just like my regular plain banana bread! 

And here are the macros! I got 16 servings as I cut each mini loaf into 4 pieces. 


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment