Monday, January 18, 2016

What Does it Mean to "Lift Heavy"?

So this is SUCH a common question especially when people first start lifting that I wanted to address it. I was just as equally lost when I started out over a year and a half ago because I kept reading all these posts encouraging girls to lift heavy. I got these mental images of women bench pressing like 200 pounds or squatting like 400 pounds. Now, I'm not saying there aren't ladies out there who can't do that but the reality is a lot of us aren't even close to do that on a regular basis. That also doesn't mean, though, that we aren't lifting heavy.

In the beginning, I thought that meant I had to be lifting hundreds of pounds but I quickly found out, well, that it was hard haha! Duh, Sam. I was smart enough to know that I couldn't squat 200 pounds off the bat but I started out with what I could handle and what felt heavy to me.

Lifting heavy (to me) is selecting a weight that is challenging enough to push you through the set, bring you to failure by the end of the set, but isn't so heavy that it compromises your form. I know I've picked a right weight if by around rep 7-8 I think to myself "Jesus take the wheel I might not get to 10". BUT I can get to 10 and haven't slacked on form. The 10 reps in that example are completely arbitrary but what I mean is you really start to feel challenged with whatever weight/rep schema you've chosen.

I skip around so much with different reps, number of sets, and the weight. That can be true for the same muscle group that I'm working and different ones. Some days I work on strength, other days I work on muscular endurance, and some days I work on hypertrophy. Since I'm not competing in anything, I don't have specific goals that need an exact fitness program tailored to my needs. I just do what I want!

Another thing to consider is the muscle group you are working on, and your specific genetics (that is something you'll figure out along the way). For example, my shoulders and arms respond best when I train them on lighter weights with higher reps. A common thing I see a lot with people and training shoulders especially is they pick too high of a weight and use their traps too much or use too much momentum like when doing front raises. For shoulders I stick to around 10-20 pounds and do sets of 15-20 reps. I also like to use a lot of resistance bands and do sets of 20-30 and incorporate pauses where I hold at the contraction for 2-5 seconds. Talk about a burn! Even though the weight might be a lot lighter, I've had no problems growing my delts. It's about doing what works for your body!

My legs are the strongest part of my body and my quads in particular. It takes A LOT for my quads to reach fatigue, and I can go just about double the weight compared to my hamstrings and glutes. The reason I have to go lighter on my second leg day (hams/glutes) is that I don't want my quads to take over the workout because if I let them, they will.

Take for example the leg press. This morning was leg day 1 (quads) so I kept my feet in a narrow stance (less than 3 inches) to isolate my quads. I was able to use 450 lbs (5 45lb plates on each side) which I was also so happy about because it's a new PR! But on Thursday for hams/glutes I'll do a higher foot stance with my feet farther apart to really feel it in my hamstrings and glutes. I also keep the weight much lower 180-270 lbs (2-3 45lb plates on each side) and do higher reps around 18-20 so that I'm able to concentrate on not activating my quads but make my hamstrings do the work.

Chest is another muscle group that for me, genetically, is weaker and harder for me to grow. Right now I bench press around 75-85 lbs, and it's taken me awhile to gain strength from starting around 55 but I know the results will come! I used to hateee working chest and back, too but oddly both are growing on me! Back I can usually go moderately heavy (again, for me) depending on the exercise. For compound exercises like t-bar rows and rack pulls I do about 135-155, and anywhere from 90-110 on the machines and free weights.

The bottom line and my point is lift heavy for YOU. If you are giving it your all, working those muscles, and wondering where the heck you are at the end of your set (just kidding that might be a little too extreme haha!) then by all means just keep doing what you're doing. I do try to challenge myself each week and set new PRs whether that be in reps, sets, or weight but I always keep form a top priority. Depending on genetics and which muscles are easiest to build (again, different for each person), it might take shorter/longer to hit those PRs but I promise that if you keep up with the process results will come.

So go out there ladies, lift heavy, and chase those goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment