Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Spinach & Feta Egg-White Scramble

I have a confession: I actually passed up pancakes for brinner in favor of something else. I never thought I'd see the day where I didn't pick pancakes but it actually happened. I had good reason, though! My body was really, really craving protein so I listened. My heart was telling me cheese so I listened to that, too. Balance right? 

One of my go-to breakfasts at my favorite breakfast place is their spinach & feta omelet which I always ask for with just egg whites because the yolks gross me out. So I made my own version for brinner last night! 

I could've made an omelet but that's just not one of the skills that I have. It doesn't sound complicated and I know they shouldn't be, but omelets are impossible for me. So I took the easy way out and just made a scramble! And I think that I prefer it that way, plus it's easier for me to make.

So for the omelet here's what I put in it:
3/4 cup egg whites
2 cups fresh spinach
1/2 cup cauliflower
1/4 cup feta cheese

The cauliflower is totally optional but I love it in egg white scrambles plus it adds more volume with hardly any macros. It blends right in with the egg whites that you can hardly tell it's there!


First, I just cooked the egg whites (seasoned with some sea salt) for a bit until they were about halfway cooked. Then, I added the cauliflower and spinach and let those cook. I waited until the very end to add the feta because I didn't want it to be totally melted. So once all the egg whites and veggies were cooked, I added the feta and stirred it around for about 10-15 seconds before taking everything off the heat. Just enough so that it was melted slightly but still in big enough chunks.

I just eyeballed the spinach but it was probably about 2 cups wilted down. I kept adding more until it looked spinach-y enough.


It's not the prettiest dinner but it tasted great and hit the spot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment