Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Easy-Peasy Pepper Dish!

Based off the comments and questions since switching to IIFYM, it seems like a lot of people think I probably eat Oreos all day but that couldn't even be farther from the truth. In fact, I'm working on a post that will entirely discredit those assumptions.

 Don't get me wrong, I love Oreos, frozen yogurt, Goldfish grahams, and ice cream sandwiches but I'm not even exaggerating when I say my spirit animal would probably be a bunny. I absolutely go crazy for vegetables and I always have. I don't think I could live without baby carrots! 

So a majority of my dinner is filled with deliciously crunchy veggies! My favorites are brussel sprouts, zucchini, butternut squash, broccoli, peppers, and sweet potatoes. Not sure if sweet potatoes are technically a vegetable but I don't care because I love them. 

The other night for dinner, I whipped up some peppers to go with my chicken and sweet potatoes. This is pretty typical of what dinner looks like for me: lean protein and lots of vegetables. Sometimes I throw in the sweet potatoes as a heavier carb source but I go through phases with that. I love pasta but often times it's not worth trying to fit all the extra carbs for me because let's be honest, I'm a volume eater! If I can get 5x the amount of veggies over one little serving of pasta, I'll swap in a heartbeat! 

Plus, you can't ignore your micronutrients ;)

I'm gonna say it, I'm gonna saaaaaay itttt...

BALANCE! 

I know, you're so tired of hearing me say that but hey it's in the title of my blog! 


So, for the peppers all I did was slice them up and saute them over medium heat for a few minutes until they softened. I used olive oil spray (Trader Joe's brand), salt, pepper, and added in a few slices of onions too. I love caramelized onions so just for kicks I threw them in the mix, too. 


All nice and browned!


So with 2 servings of peppers (170g), 4oz of grilled chicken, and 125g sweet potatoes the grand total macros for my meal were: 
35g carbs, 32g protein, 4g fat

*random fact: one serving of pasta alone (about 1/2 cup dry) is around 45g carbs. So look at all the veggies I got in place of that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment