Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Greek Food Festival & Weekend Catch-up!

So on Friday morning I got to have one of my rare mornings where I could actually take my time, and have breakfast and coffee before leaving the house! I always love those mornings especially because I have time to call Layla over and tell her "it's time for morning cuddles" and she hops up in to my lap haha! Yes, I might have taught my dog to cuddle on command for my own personal benefit...

The reason I got to take my time was that I only had to work a half day since I ended up working a few late nights during the week. Like I said, I love the flexibility with my job! 

I took my time with my workout, and then had a greek yogurt parfait for my post-workout breakfast! And, of course, you'll never find me having breakfast without coffee. Important side note: but I recently got a caramal vanilla latte creamer and it's amazing! 

Back to the food, I know, I'll stay on track from now on I promise. It had: 
7 oz plain chobani greek yogurt
1/3 cup strawberry halves
1/4 cup cereal 
stevia

I'm loving how all of the fresh fruits are coming in season! 




No, this isn't how we cuddle in the mornings but when I got home the lazy bum was so tired she hardly had her usual energy when greeting me. Usually I wait until she calms down and sits and only then will I bend down to pet her, but on Friday she had just woken up from her afternoon nap and promptly fell back asleep! I was petting her and she started closing her eyes and kept slouching over until she fell all the way to the floor haha! I've said it a million times before but she is seriously such a goofball. 

For dinner, the whole family met up at a Greek Food festival that has sort of become a tradition in our family the past couple years. When my mom first had her aneurysm in May 2013, my aunt, grandma, Amanda and I were driving home from the hospital when we saw the signs. My family will never pass up Greek food so we figured we would stop! Then, last year to celebrate my mom's 1-year anniversary we took her to the festival so it was only fitting that we take her again this year! I still can't believe it's been two years since everything happened, and if you want the full story you can check out what my sister Amanda posted on her blog. God has certainly done amazing things for my family! 


Now, in my opinion, the main thing how this Greek Food Festival differs from the one by my house that always happens in June, is that this festival puts feta on their fries (insert three billion heart eyes emojis). I'm thinking of tipping off my one friend who's mom is in charge of most of the food at the festival by my house that they should start putting feta on their fries, too! 


The one thing that I always have to get is spanakopita. It is my all-time favorite Greek dish, and it's basically spinach and feta pie with the filo dough as the crust. It's flaky & crunchy from the filo, gooey from the warm feta, and loaded with spinach! 


And, of course, gyros! I like that at this festival they also have vegetarian or chicken options in addition to the traditional lamb. These gyros are also very messy and you have to eat a lot of the fillings first to even try to get the pita closed! No complaints about that here though. 

Amanda and I split part of one since she wasn't sure how much gluten she'd be able to handle. I didn't want a whole gyro since they're enormous and I wanted room for the spanakopita and fries, and some pastries too! Baklava is another favorite of mine. Everything was absolutely delicious! Mediterranean food is definitely my favorite cuisine.  

Saturday for lunch I met up with my best friend from college who was in town for a wedding. She recently moved to Connecticut this past January so I was really excited to be able to see her! I'm actually going to visit her over Memorial Day weekend so I knew I was going to be seeing her soon, but I'll take any and all visits I can get! 

Then, my best friend from high school was in town from Michigan where she's currently getting her PhD. So, Saturday night her and my other best friend from high school met up for ice cream, and then sat out on her deck just drinking wine and catching up! It was the perfect night weather-wise, and plus sitting around drinking wine is definitely my kind of girl's night. I don't like going out at all, and this way I can still be home and in bed by 11pm haha! I have no shame in being a grandma. 

For Mother's Day we kept it pretty simple. Amanda made my mom these chocolate chip scones for breakfast before church from Amy's Healthy Baking, and they were delicious! Then, we went to my dad's house for lunch since he was having my aunt and grandma over for a grill-out and we wanted to be able to see them on Mother's Day as well. After lunch, we came home to spend more time with our mom! Dinner wasn't anything fancy, but the important thing is that we were able to spend time together since two years ago we wouldn't have thought that possible! 

No comments:

Post a Comment