Saturday, May 30, 2015

Hill Sprints Workout

Tuesday morning after my shoulder workout, I began to question my sanity. I suddenly wanted to try out some hill sprints, and I figured it was no time like the present. 

I conveniently live on a hill so I literally just had to walk out my front door for this workout. It was a good workout but maybe not on the most humid morning ever. I didn't realize this at first but I soon did once I began sprinting. That's when I thought to myself that I must be insane putting myself through this.

I got it done, though! And this is something that I'm definitely going to incorporate a few times a week after my lifts in the morning. 

So here's what I did: 

Sprint up the hill as fast as possible
Jog back down at a moderate tempo
Rest 10 seconds
Sprint your little heart out again 

I repeated this three times, and then rested for a full minute or else I legit was going to throw up. 

The timing worked out perfectly for me since it took me about 20ish seconds to sprint all the way up the hill, and then 30ish seconds to jog back which left me with the 10 seconds. The timing was completely arbitrary since that's just how it ended up working out for me the first time I did this. 

I liked how it worked, though, so I stuck with it! I did 3 sets of 3 rounds of sprinting if that makes sense. I ended up doing 9 sprints total but just broken up in to 3 sets since I needed a full minute in between a round of 3 sprints. It ended up taking me 11 minutes, and I was POURING sweat on top of the sweat I already worked up from my shoulders circuit! 

I'm a big fan of sprints, though, which probably makes me sound crazy but hey you guys already know I'm a runner at heart. My town has plenty of hills of all shapes and sizes so I'll definitely just work my way around and try this out with various hills! I did a short version since I already did one workout plus I was just trying this one out for fun. I ended up doing this again Thursday morning and it went much, much better! It was a lot cooler and not nearly as humid so I was able to do more rounds without worrying that I was in danger of heat stroke or something. 

My hamstrings and quads definitely felt it the day after so I think it was a success! 

No comments:

Post a Comment