Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Weekend in Connecticut: Healthy Road Trip Snacks!

Hi guys! Sorry that I've totally been off the grid, but I plan on getting some catch-up posts soon! I had full intentions of posting Friday Favorites on Friday morning before I jetted off to visit my best friend in Connecticut but then I completely forgot...typical. So, I thought I'd do a few wrap-up posts about what I was up to this past weekend. Full disclosure: I did not track a single thing or workout at all, I was fully focused on just spending time with one of my best friends! 

Megan moved to Connecticut in January for her new job, and even though I'm thrilled for her since it's an awesome opportunity, we literally have not been farther apart than 10 miles since we became close friends our freshman year of college (six years ago). Which means this has been a bit of an adjustment for us but it gives me an excuse to go on road trips for a girl's weekend!

We both had Memorial day off of work so I picked this past weekend to go see her to save some PTO. It's a bit of a road trip, around 8 1/2 hours, but I don't mind since a) it saves me money spending on gas vs. flying, b) I absolutely hate hate hate flying and pretty sure I'd have a panic attack doing it alone, and c) I like road trips! Eight hours is about my max driving in the car so it worked out perfectly. Another bonus is her parents live exactly halfway right along the way so I stopped Friday at lunch time to catch up with her parents! They're basically like another set of parents to me (I have like six parents at this point haha), and call me their Pittsburgh daughter!

It was such a great weekend in terms of just realizing even more of the blessings in my life, I mean it's just incredible to me! I'm so thankful for all the people in my life, and I even came home to the SWEETEST surprise from Rachael on Monday afternoon. I'll get to that at some point, but she's the best!!

So, Friday after a quick workout, I hit the road around 8am since it would get me there right in time for dinner. I had plans with her parents to go to lunch to take a break from the road, and to catch up with them! I hadn't seen them since December so I was really excited to be able to spend some time with them. It literally works out perfectly that they are right along the way, I just had to hop off the highway right to their exit and then get right back on!

Since I spent most of Friday in the car I prepared some healthier snacks to bring along. I'm the kind of person that hates stopping unless completely necessary. Like we're talking either I'm about to run out of gas or my bladder is gonna burst. I think it has a lot to do with my dad doing that when we were younger so basically road trips are a game of "how long can I possibly go without making any stops" #challengeaccepted.

So there was no way I was going to stop for anything as silly as needing food haha! I always bring my own since it saves me time and money. It's just about planning ahead!


For some reason, goldfish to me just go hand in hand with road trips. It's something we usually packed for the drive when I was younger so they bring back memories! 

Besides the goldfish here's what else I packed: 
2 vanilla NuGo bars
chocolate rice cakes
bananas 
100-calorie pack of chocolate chip wafers

The hard part was packing protein but what I did was have a protein-packed breakfast before I left, made sure to have chicken on my salad at lunch, and then the same with dinner. I just tried my best to balance things out without tracking anything and having limited options. Again, I wasn't too concerned since it was only going to be three days which in the long-run isn't going to hurt! I was back on track yesterday and today so it'll all even out eventually. 

For lunch, I stopped to see her parents and they took me to a really great salad place. I got the mandarin chicken salad, and made sure to eat all the chicken to hold me over! Like I said, I was probably under on my protein for the day but a few days isn't going to matter much. 


I hit MAJOR traffic about an hour and a half outside where she lives, like right as soon as I crossed over in to Connecticut from New York. It was insane, the three-lane highway was bumper to bumper for miles and miles and miles. Good thing I was alone in the car because I would not have been nice company at that point. I was completely spent from driving the whole day already that I just wanted to get in and see Megan. I broke my no-stopping rule because I did not want to get stuck in this traffic once I really had to go to the bathroom or needed gas. It legitimately took me over half an hour to go not even four miles to the nearest exit. I needed to take a breather from the traffic or else I was going to explode! 

There was a gas station but there wasn't a bathroom which just added to my frustration and I couldn't find a place to be able to run right in and out. I had to back track and drive around this little random town and then finally I found a Starbucks a few miles up the road. Usually I just dash right in and out to use the bathrooms but I felt kinda guilty doing that without buying something. Especially since it was nearly empty and the employees definitely would've noticed. So, I picked up one of these yogurt parfaits and I'm glad I did! Because it turns out I was going to be stuck in traffic for another 2 hours, and this held me over nicely. 

It was surprisingly delicious and ended up being most of my dinner! When I got to Megan's around 8pm she had ordered take-out which I picked at a bit but I was so tired at that point. She poured me some wine and we crashed on the couch with some Netflix, and called it a night soon afterwards! 

No comments:

Post a Comment